Day of Caring®
ONE DAY OF CARING CAN CHANGE LIVES!
June 7th, 2013
WHAT IS DAY OF CARING®?
Day of Caring is a special program coordinated in your community by United Way serving Saint John, Kings and Charlotte and the Saint John Volunteer Centre. Its goal is to mobilize teams of corporate employees as volunteers to complete meaningful, hands-on projects that will greatly assist local non-profit agencies in our region.
Projects could include painting, construction, renovations, landscaping, and maintenance. There are many other imaginative ways to get involved like helping out at events, assisting with program services, and training.
WHY SHOULD EVERYONE GET INVOLVED?
All volunteer efforts, big and small, are vital to the wellbeing of our community. Corporate Volunteering has quickly become an essential and creative "corporate investment" strategy, and the Day of Caring demonstrates that, by working together, local companies can make a visible and substantial impact in their community by getting involved in one of the many community service organizations that works to improve the quality of life in our communities.
Day of Caring projects allow local business and corporate employees to learn about community agencies and services while providing the opportunity to create unique and ongoing partnerships between the corporate and community non-profit sectors.
Day of Caring Volunteers are teams of employees from local companies and organizations coordinated by United way, Saint John Volunteer Centre, and Sussex and Area Vibrant Communities to participate in approved projects that have been submitted by local non-profit and community.
WHEN AND WHERE WILL PROJECTS HAPPEN?
This year, Day of Caring will be held on Friday, June 7th, 2013. Each project must be completed within one day, during regular business working hours (9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.) and will be held at participating non-profit organizations in various communities throughout the region.
HOW ARE PROJECTS IDENTIFIED?
Organizations with a project idea are invited to submit a project description and application. Projects will be reviewed to ensure suitability.
HOW DO WE GET INVOLVED?
Any company that would like to participate must submit a completed application form. you should designate one person as your TEAM LEADER who will coordinate employees on behalf of your company. Once a team is matched to an appropriate project, United Way will contact the TEAM LEADER to arrange for a project onsite assessment prior to project day, to ensure that all requirements for successful project completion are in place. Projects must meet certain criteria, including time allowances, safety, and program purposes.
CRITERIA FOR DAY OF CARING CORPORATE TEAMS
- Corporate Volunteer Team is available for the agreed upon time to successfully complete the project.
- Corporate Team Leader agrees to meet with United Way staff and the matched agency representative for an onsite assessment prior to project day.
- Corporate Team Leader and Volunteers agree to release event organizers (United Way and Saint John Volunteer Centre) from all liabilities incurred while carrying out the project.
- Corporate Team is willing to provide coverage for employees that are volunteering out of their normal workplace.
- Corporate Team Volunteers agree to allow United Way to take and use pictures, corporate name and logo, and volunteers' names freely for promotions of the Day of Caring Program.
- Corporate Team Leader and Volunteers agree to complete follow-up evaluations on their project experience.
- Corporate Team must be willing to HAVE AS MUCH FUN AS POSSIBLE while carrying out their project!
Applications are subject to approval by United Way serving Saint John. Kings, and Charlotte and are coordinated in collaboration with the approved agency and company.
For further information please contact Gina at the United Way office by phone at 658-1212.
Agency Project Proposal Form
Volunteer Application Form
Day of Caring Photos 2012