2023 Community Investment Process
Our funding application process opens on May 15th. Successful applicants will receive funding from March 2024 – February 2025.
Our funding review process takes place in 3 phases:
- Letter of Intent (opens May 15th, closes June 25th)
- Application by invitation (open Aug 28th, due Sept 29th)
- Interview Oct/Nov by invitation
Before beginning your online application please review the application guide. The guide provides samples, FAQs, tips, and instructions for the application platform.
At United Way, we help people. Granting funds to local charities is one of the major ways we help solve local and regional social problems. We invest for impact and outcomes.
Funding Guidelines and Criteria
- Organizations must be a Registered Canadian Charity.
- Organizations must provide programs and services in our region – Saint John, Kings and Charlotte Counties.
- Organizations must be addressing one or more of our community priorities:
- Moving people from poverty to possibility
- Helping kids achieve their full potential
- Mental health support
- Breaking the cycle of domestic violence
- Funding request must not exceed 30% of an organizations operating budget, in most cases.
- Minimum funding request is $15,000
- We support the real costs associated with delivering outcomes. Therefore, we provide funding for both program and operational expenses.
- We provide multi-year grants (the majority of our funding is committed for multiple years).
- We provide funding for system change and capacity building.
- For requests that engage and benefit multiple organizations, clear ownership and deliverables are required.
We do NOT provide funding for the following:
- Arts, culture, heritage, environment, sports, recreation or animal programs that do not demonstrate clear alignment with our social mandate
- Special events or conferences
- Activities that are considered core government services
- Medical or scientific research
- Capital projects, in most cases
- Service duplication, in most cases
As you consider applying for funding, we encourage you to contact Chelsie Nightingale, Community Impact Manager, to discuss your ideas.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY FOR FUNDING
For more information or assistance, please contact Chelsie at Chelsie@unitedwaysaintjohn.com.
For a complete list of programs, services and strategies currently funded, please click here.