At United Way, we help people. Granting funds to local charities is one of the major ways we help solve local and regional social problems. We invest for impact and outcomes.
Funding Guidelines and criteria
We do not invest in the following:
- Organizations without Registered charitable numbers
- Arts, culture, heritage, environment, sports, recreation or animal programs that do not demonstrate clear alignment with our social mandate
- Special events or conferences
- Activities that are considered core government services
- Political parties
- Religious activities
- Deficit funding
- Fundraising initiatives
- Medical or scientific research
- Capital projects, in most cases
- More than 30% of an organizations operating budget, in most cases
- Service duplication, in most cases
- Funding requests under $15,000.
We do invest in the following:
- The real costs associated with delivering outcomes. We understand the most critical roles and functions are often the most difficult to fund from traditional sources. In other words, operating costs are eligible expenses.
- Multi year grants (the majority of our funding is committed for multiple years).
- system change and capacity building
- Partnership requests that engage and can benefit multiple organizations. Clear ownership and deliverables is required.
As you consider applying for funding, please contact United Way staff to discuss your ideas.
2018 Community Investment Process
United Way’s Community Investments are reviewed annually, with a call for proposals opening May 15th.
Our funding review process takes place in 3 phases:
- letter of intent (Due July 4th),
- application (Due Oct 2) by invitation
- interview Oct/Nov by invitation
Before beginning your online application please review the application guide. The guide provides samples, FAQs, tips, and instructions for the application platform.
To apply for funding or to complete reporting requirements, please click here.
For more information or assistance, please contact Alexya at Alexya@unitedwaysaintjohn.com
For a complete list of programs, services and strategies currently funded, please click here.